Thursday, April 24, 2008

Vicious Sickness (hey that rhymed!)


Beware ye that plan on pregnancy.


"Morning Sickness" is a crock. "All Day Full Body Corruption and Nausea" is a better term for what it can really be.


The Little Kitty has been feeling aweful lately. She can hardly eat or drink most of the time, and nothing seems to help. We've done cranberry juice, teas, preggie pops, ginger ale, ginger chews, you name it. This leaves me in the precarious position of trying to do what I can without: A) bugging her to death about it. B) seeming like it's not that big a deal. and C) trying to get a lot of stuff done the 5 or 6 hours between coming home from work and going to sleep.


At the same time, I'm glad it's not me who has to go through that. I hate being sick. Hopefully our doctor can give her something that'll actually help, but we have to call her first.


Luckily, I have a wife that appreciates me helping out and lets me know it. And I'm glad that I can do something to make her life easier. The problem with pregnancy sickness is that there's not really anything I can do directly that's helpful. I recognize that doing things on the periphery to make her more comfortable is a worthy task, but as someone who would rather be on the frontlines of helping out, it bugs me.


Well, I'm only human I suppose. So let this be a lesson to ye men out there trying to "fix" your wife when she has All Day Full Body Corruption and Nausea. Don't try to. Do the things on the sidelines that you can do to help her out. She'll appreciate it a lot and you'll be doing your part to keep things moving along.

3 comments:

OCDmom said...

Little kitty here...I appreciate my husband very much. Sometimes I feel that I should be surprised by how supportive, loving and self sacrificing he is. But why should I? He has always been that way. This in no way means I take his Godly nature for granted. I have the realization of how blessed I am each and every day. This is just who my husband is, so I am never surprised. Merely grateful.

Megan said...

You helping out, and just being there for Danielle will mean more than you could ever know.

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Mike has learned to ask, "Do you want sympathy or a solution?" Wise man. Sometimes a dose of sympathy works better than all the drugs at Walgreens!

When we lived in the UK and I was pregnant with Ben and Chris, I craved Baskin Robbins orange sherbert like nobodies business. Trouble was, it was only available in a) London in an out of the way place and b) Windsor - across from the castle - again, out of the way! But Mike went and got it for me anyway, bless him. It was about the ONLY American food item I craved that I could actually GET in England at the time.