Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Sleep Glorious Sleep


There is more than one reason I started these posts. One was so that, later on down the road, the wife and I (and the Little Monster) could look back on these, laugh, and say "remember when" so we don't forget all the little things that happened along the way.

The second reason is to keep our family and friends updated on the goings-on in our life because I'm terrible at keeping in any sort of decent contact with anyone (I'm off-the-charts ADHD and very forgetful, not a good combination).

The last reason is so that this might be a resource for other new fathers down the road to see a more personal view of having a kid so they might have that much more knowledge on what they might expect as things progress.

This brings us to the title of today's post.

For the record, the Little Kitty is probably about 5ish or 6ish weeks along in her pregnancy. For the past 2 or 3 weeks she's been having some pretty bad sleep. Last night we actually had to sleep in the guest bedroom because our bed suddenly turned very uncomfortable for her. After that she slept more or less ok and I was out like a lamp (again). I usually do pretty good with a minimum amount of sleep, but between work, church, moving, finding out we're having a baby, fixing the flat on the car, and lack of sleep, I have become rather worn out by the time bedtime rolls around. But I'll stay up as long as I can, because being with her is the most important thing right now.

If I could give that sleeping ability to the wife, I certainly would.

So what's the point of this post? Stay up with your wife when she needs it. It'll help her know that you are there, and with all the crazy changes her body's going through, you definitely have the easier job. So enjoy the extra time you have with her as much as you can, even if she's not exactly enjoying not being able to get to sleep. I get the sneaking suspicion (aka: every book and blog i read tells me) that once the Little Monster gets here the extra time is gonna go right out the window.

Sidenote: Little Monster is not a derogatory term at all. I look forward to the child, but have you ever seen those pictures of the baby while it's developing?! It has a tail and everything!

No comments: