Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sleep Experiment - Day 1

2:47 AM: Been up since 2 AM. Woke up pretty well and I'm not tired, but that's to be expected right now. The human body can take things like this no problem for a day. It's the next few days that's gonna be difficult. The Little Kitty was up too, she's been having some trouble sleeping due to some back/side pain from her stomach stretching and making room for the Little Monster, so we watched a little of an old John Stewart standup, and she went back to sleep.

Well, I have 4 and a half hours to blow before I go to work, so I'll probably clean the kitchen, pick up the living room, and play some video games. Tomorrow's plan involves disinfecting the fridge, sweeping and mopping the floors, and probably lots of other chores that I'm asking the Little Kitty to think up to keep my body moving.

6:20 AM: This is a long time to be awake. I've gone to Wal-Mart, cleaned the kitchen and straightened the living room, play about 1 - 1 1/2 hours of video games, walked nearly a mile, grabbed the mail on the way in, took a shower, and watched some anime. My brain is already trying to play tricks on me saying that it's not really worth staying up this much and that there's no way I'll fill all this time. I know this to be fundamentally untrue however, as for the last few months I've been thinking of all the things I want to do that I can't due to time constraints. I'm not even particularly tired, but I have a feeling that by the time this evening rolls around I'm going to start to want to zonk out a lot more. Well, time to get ready for work so that I don't have to do it after my first nap. :-)

I'll write more this evening monitoring my progress. :-)

9:27 PM: Wow, this has been a long day. I've been up for 19 1/2 hours, minus my naps. Today was forever long, and it seems like this morning was yesterday. Interesting experience. I've read about time dilation, but even at this early stage I'm already noticing a little. I'm starting to get pretty tired, but that's to be expected I suppose. Anchor sleep is in an hour and half, so hopefully I won't oversleep or anything. Tomorrow is when the hard part starts. Kind of dreading it, but if I can power through it then everything should be good. Well, one day down, a few more to go!

1 comment:

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Feel free to come over to my place and do some odd jobs all in the name of research! I have a list a mile long...

I'm off to bed...oh, was that insensitive? :)

As someone who needs a minimum of 7 hours and preferably 9 of sleep, I am interested in how your experiment goes.