Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day


So today is Mother's Day and it would be good if I could write something, so this is a two-parter:


Part One: Things I learned from mom (see this post for the dad version).


1. Never underestimate yourself

2. Be there for people

3. Cracking your knuckles won't actually give you arthritis, but it will make mom a lot happier if you'll cut it out already

4. Give dad the respect he deserves

5. The worse thing you can do in dad's eyes is to disrepect mom

6. You will, in fact be the man of the house one day

7. Longaberger baskets are like McGuyver, they can do anything

8. A wife taking care of children has the best job on the planet

9. Mom knows a whole lot more about what's going on in the house than anyone else

10. The wife is the gatekeeper to the success of the husband

11. There's no cookin' like mom's cookin'

12. It takes a lot more time and effort to be a good mom than to be a good most-other-things

13. Things turn out a lot better when mom doesn't baby everything

14. Playing in the rain should be encouraged as it does not, in fact, make you sick

15. That regardless of where I am in life, whether drowining in myself or soaring high, being crushed by the world or lifting it up, that mom will be there to pull me through.

Thanks, mom, and I hope I to still learn more and more as we continue onwards.


And now, for Part Two:

A letter to my wife.


Dear Little Kitty,


I know that pregnancy is not easy. Obviously, I do not know this first hand, but I hear some pretty freaky things about it, at least for the beginning part. When I married you I had no idea what all might show up on our doorstep but I don't regret one thing that has ever happened, and I never plan on regretting anything. I love you more as each day goes by, and even when I don't have a reply to a question or get real quiet, it's because I'm thinking things through because I want only the true best for the both of us (soon to be the three of us).

There are a lot of things that I will probably never quite get or understand, and my ability to zone in and out of things (ooh! shiny!) will get the better of me now and again, but it always comes back to you. I love you more than life itself, and I will be at least attempting to improve myself for you as every day goes by. More often than not I'll mess up at that, but I'll keep trying at it until I succeed. I know that you think I'm already terrific and that you love me with all you are, but my commitment to you is based on my constant improvement, however disjointed it may be. You're going to be such a great mom and I can't wait to share this unbelievable blessing with you.

Happy Mother's Day.

Love,

Me


Wrap-up:

So Happy Mother's Day mom, kitty, and all the other mothers and mothers-to-be out there!

3 comments:

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Well put, young man. Methinks ye be wise! :) But, considering who your parents are, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Megan said...

Wow Jared. You are so good with words! I was blown away by your list of things you have learned from your mother. I am going to print it out, and strive to instill those things in my children.

I want to sit you down and pick your mind sometime and learn what you think your Mom did right to raise a man who respects his mother so much. Seriously. You were warned.

Barking Donkey said...

Thanks for the tribute to your mom, my wife - the best thing that ever happened to me!