Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

I didn't write the song at the bottom, but it sums up what I think of my dad. Without him I'd have gotten nowhere, and even though he thinks we made it easy to be a good dad, he made it easy to be a good kid. I look around and see so many guys, both kids and adults, and wonder what went wrong. Chances are they didn't have a father to back them up, show them how to live a good life, and how to be a man. If I manage to be as good of a dad to my kids as mine was to me, it's to his credit (along with mom), but there are certain things that you can only learn from a good father, and I've learned an aweful lot, and I learn more every day even when I don't talk to him. To me that's the mark of not just a great dad, but a great man and a great man of the Lord above.

What's a dad for dad?
Tell me why I'm here dad
Whisper in my ear that I'm growing up to be a better man, dad
Everything is fine dad
Proud that you are mine dad
Cause I know I'm growing up to be a better man

Father I will always beThat same boy that stood by the sea
And watched you tower over me
Now I'm older I wanna be the same as you
What's a dad for dad?
Taught me how to stand, dad
Took me by the hand and you showed me how to be a bigger man, dad
Listen when you talk, dad
Follow where you walk, dad
And you know that I will always do the best I can

Father I will always be
That same boy that stood by the sea
And watched you tower over me
Now I'm older I wanna be the same as you
The same as you

When I am a dad, dad
I'm gonna be a good dad
Do the best you could, dad
Always understood, dad
Tell me I was right, dad
Opened up my eyes, dad
Glad to call you my, dad

Thank you for my life dad.

3 comments:

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

We learn by example. You had great example. You'll do well too. You'll be the example for that next generation. And I love being a grandparent - it's God's "reinforcement team".

Who sang the song? I'm not familiar with it and would like to hear it!
Happy FIRST Father's Day to you as well. :)

Jared Kemp said...

it's "Life of a Salesman" by a band called Yellowcard.

hope you have a great week!

Barking Donkey said...

You inspire Me... and make me very proud!

Remember, Psalms 127:

Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.

In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.

Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.

Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.

Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. {AMEN}